The History of the Demon
Westlake was originally known as Dover High School. Members of the athletic teams would proudly wear varsity jackets with the letter “D” sewn on them. It became a badge of honor for those letter winners and their peers referred to the as “D-Men”.
In 1940, Dover Village became known as Westlake and the high school was renamed Westlake High School. During that time, team mascots or emblems were growing in popularity, and many schools in the surrounding cities were selecting their own.
Westlake decided to keep the nickname of “D-Men” by converting it to Demons.
-credit to Westlake Historical Society